This week on Thursday it is Thanksgiving. I think it must be my favourite American holiday! A life that is full of thanksgiving is a happy one, no matter what the circumstances, and what can be better than once a year celebrating the good things God has given us with a great big feast?
So as we think about things we are thankful for over this time, here are 5 things that I am particularly thankful for.
1. My husband. My very best friend, my lover, the captain of our ship. His personality compliments mine, he keeps me in line and helps me flourish, he is the excellent father of my children. Every year with him just keeps getting better.
2. My kids. No job in the world is as difficult and rewarding at the same time as being a mother. The weight of responsibility I feel for the direction I lead 2 little eternal souls is overwhelming at times, but I absolutely love being Marica and Esther’s mother. I love seeing their little personalities develop, seeing them learn, hearing them say ‘Mamma’ for the first time, to see Marica grow in faith and understanding of her Creator.
3. Our computer. While we’re here in New York, we can stay in contact with our friends and family via email, our blog and skype. This has helped the homesickness a lot! I can’t imagine what it must have been like back in the day for a letter to take 3 months to arrive by boat. We are so blessed.
4. The opportunity to live in Brooklyn. The longer I live here, the more I like it. New York City has a character of its own — one that at first might not seem too friendly, but once you get to know it, it grows on you. I love discovering all sorts of New York attractions, to live in a Brooklyn brownstone, to ride the subway, to eat cream cheese bagels and so many other cool things that makes New York the greatest city in the world.
5. To be able to experience a real Thanksgiving in an American home. A few years back when our church in Christchurch was vacant, pastor Brauning and his wife Joan came for about 3 months to help with pulpit supply. They live about 2.5 hours drive away in Philiadelphia and have invited us to spend Thanksgiving with them. We are so excited! Thanks for inviting us, Mr & Mrs Brauning!
There are plenty more things I’m thankful for, of course! Faith, family, new and old friends, good food, all sorts of modern conveniences, public transport, and a host of other things, but I thought I’d just limit myself to 5!